The City of Seattle Heat Safety webpage is full of tips and resources to stay safe and comfortable when the Seattle area experiences a heat wave. Visit the page and learn more about the following topics.
- How to stay safe at area cooling centers, beaches, community and senior centers, and public libraries.
- Managing your activity level during a heat wave and staying hydrated.
- Ways to keep cool at home.
- Checking in on family, friends, and neighbors in the heat.
- Why you should never leave children or pets in a parked car.
The webpage also provides information about the governmental responses to heat waves, including:
- How to call WA 211 to find resources during hot weather events.
- Tips from the Seattle Fire Department (SFD) to prevent heat-related medical emergencies and fires.
- How SFD’s Health One Team helps particularly vulnerable residents during a heat wave.
- How the Seattle Department of Transportation prevents and repairs road damage resulting from extreme heat.
The Heat Safety webpage is a great online resource for staying cool during heat waves, but it’s also a good idea to sign up for Alert Seattle to receive alerts via text message, email, voice message, or social media. And to stay updated on the latest weather forecasts for the Seattle area, bookmark the National Weather Service webpage for the Seattle/Tacoma Weather Forecast Office.[DHC]